Print This Page Print This Page

My ex-spouse will not obey the court order


When you get a divorce the terms are outlined in the court order. These terms include alimony, child support, equitable distribution or child custody. If your ex-spouse does not comply with the court order, it is important for you to take action. You need to contact an attorney to stand up for your rights. Failure to comply with a court order by either spouse can create a substantial strain on finances and lifestyle of the other and their minor child or children.

The terms of a divorce settlement are enforceable if they were approved by the court. If either spouse fails to comply with the court order, it can result in civil or criminal charges of contempt.

Your first step is hiring an experienced and caring lawyer to file against the party who has violated the court order. If the family law judge finds that the other party intentionally disobeyed the court order, the judge will enforce the terms of the court order. If family law judge finds that a spouse is in contempt, he or she could go to jail in addition to court fines. However, a person cannot be held in contempt of court for violating an order that he or she does not have the ability to comply.

If you feel that your ex-spouse is intentionally not complying with the terms of the court order, contact us to get a free consultation, no obligation consultation. We can file charges of contempt and recover the support that you deserve.

Hire a New Port Richey lawyer

Call us now and receive a free no-obligation consultation. If you cannot come to our office, our lawyer will come to you. We pride ourselves on excellent communication, service and results. Contact us at (800) 927-0400 for a free no-obligation consultation. We serve Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando and Hillsborough Counties.